|Web-Marker - Mark web pages and tell the world about it
||[Jun. 11th, 2006|10:32 pm]
Thanks to all who responded to my LiveURLs love post. We've decided not to worry about the name of the URLs. They will remain LiveURLs. We are coming out with the first application based on LiveURLs. It is called Web-Marker, your marker pen for the web. Thanks a ton mewpsych for the name. We owe you a treat. Toufeeq has a post on it here.
So what does Web-Marker let you do?
Web-Marker was first demo-ed at the www2006. It was received very well and we got some really good suggestions and use cases. More on that in another post.
- You can mark portions of a document (when you mark, you get to see the markings)
- Multiple non-contiguous marks are supported. This was the first feature that everyone requested when we released LiveURLs. More markings mean longer LiveURLs (we are working to shorten it :))
- You can bookmark the marked document or copy the link to the marked document to the clipboard.
- You can navigate between marks on a page.
- You can clear all/individual marks from a document.
Web-Marker was approved by Firefox addons today and is available here. Play around with it and leave your suggestions as comments at Web-Marker's homepage. You could also leave your rating of the extension at the site. It helps in evaluating the extension and is a good source of feedback for us. Also report any bugs you find at the mozdev bugs page.
- It does not support URLs generated with the LiveURLs extension.
- You would have to uninstall the LiveURLs extension for Web-Marker to work.
Just letting you know that I'm using Epiphany.
We are aware of losing the other browser users :) We are working on it.
Writing extensions for Epiphany looks easy. I'm actually contemplating moving to Epiphany after giving up on Firefox's memory usage.
if it is easy we should port web-marker to it.
Yeah. Did you know that Epiphany came with a Python-console which interacts with the browser. Imagine writing epiphany-extensions in python.
This is interesting !! Should try it out. Launching Epiphany now.
install the package epiphany-extension. The python-console extension was not available on debian's epiphany extensions, you might need to get it off the project homepage.
:) I first to need to upgrade my machine :(
Yay!! I am going to get a treat!! :)
That was superb suggestion. Was there anyone behind this suggestion? ;)
2006-06-16 04:57 am (UTC)
Once again - a great show. Congrats!
But I noticed two things:
1. When I right-click and use the menu to "mark the texts" or "copy links to selected texts" - the menu doesn't disappear automatically. This doesn't happen with other operations like "Clear" etc.
So I use the Toolbar icons.
2. Web-marker doesn't seem to work with pages that have frames.
2006-06-16 05:01 am (UTC)
Re: Congrats Again!
Thanks a ton Janani.
Bug 1. We've been breaking our heads about why this happens. We are still clueless. Using the toolbar masks this bug ;)
Bug 2. No support for frames yet :(
2006-06-16 08:56 pm (UTC)
Re: Congrats Again!
And Congrats to Shobs too! I guess LiveURL grew to become Web-marker just by her suggestion :)
2006-06-17 12:12 am (UTC)
Re: Congrats Again!
Exactly. Once we had the name finalized, we changed the extension's functionality to match the name. Shoby came up with a super suggestion :)
Thanks for the link. Not been following reddit for sometime. There is an attempt to standardize the fragment identifiers. Annodex
is an attempt to standardize such fragment identifiers into audio and video content. The site seems to be down now, though.
I once tried to do something like this with a bookmarklet, but had only limited success. You, on the other hand, have pulled it off extremely well. Nice work!
2011-02-10 03:00 pm (UTC)
Test, just a test
Hello. And Bye. fr33 pr0n (http://www.pornhubhd.com/) this is it!